Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Pipe Dreams

(Not my pipe, similar in concept though)

As I was falling asleep, I thought about the drum that my brother made for me and gifted me as a surprise many years ago. I then thought about the rattle he made for me as a surprise gift this past year. I then saw the pipe he has been called by Spirit to craft for me. A gift and responsibility I did not ask for, but will accept with honor.

I have many concerns about carrying this pipe. As I slipped off to dream I asked for clarity and assistance. The following was the Dream I was given.

I sat in a sweat lodge with a few other people. One man leading it I recognized. I don't think it was this man, but he is one I respect and would know about such things.

I sat cross legged in this sweat lodge. A tough thing for someone a bit claustrophobic to do and with the steam, I started to have an attack. I remembered why I was there and relaxed into my purpose and the pipe I was holding.

"May I please see your pipe?" the leader asked. Hesitantly, I held it out to him and the pipe reassured me that everything would be fine and I was not turning it over to him.

The leader then put the pipe in the coals at the center. I was worried for the stem is a very special wood and crafted by a Cherokee elder stem maker. I again was told not to worry. The pipe and stem took on the char that wood gets after it has been roasted in a fire. Concern held me over the possible loss of this item, I was then consoled by a voice that told me that it could not be destroyed or harmed in any way, and a picture of it flashed into my head of the stem and bowl alive with white light.

I took the pipe by the bowl out of the hot stones and held it for a moment and the char traveled over my body so I was now burnt and charred as the pipe was. A flash of light exploded from the pipe and it was untouched but I became dust and spirit. My spirit floated into the bowl and into the pipe.

I became the pipe as seven Elders passed it around as I sang a song in a language I do not know. As it passed the seventh, I became the smoke drifting up to the Great Spirit. I became a prayer.

I floated up and saw a giant buffalo made of solid clouds standing in the clouds. I knew I was a prayer for rain. The Great Buffalo bowed it's head in respect for the prayer and stomped it's mighty hooves bringing thunder and rain as prayed for. The scene switched and jumped back a moment in time.

I was now the Great Buffalo watching the prayers rise up to the clouds. I bowed my mighty head and stomped my mighty hooves calling in the thunder and the rains. I then became the rains falling down to the land.

As rain, I landed on the plants and then became the plants. I grew and saw a few of my leaves harvested and taken into the sweat lodge where I as the leaves was put into the pipe, lit and smoked to become prayers.

I experienced oneness and the cycle of life and prayer. No, I was oneness and the cycle of life and prayer for the "I" ceased to exist except through consciousness when my body was turned to ash and my spirit became the pipe.

I still have a few concerns, however I am confident that this source of guidance shall not fail me.

Spirit chose to bring the task of pipe building to my Brother, and he is doing it in a sacred manner with materials from the proper sources and the proper respect. Spirit gave him the vision that one should come to my hands and it has taken me almost four years to accept it.

I know this will only be the first of many dreams. (I guess I should hurry up and get my pipe bag sewn together.)

With much respect, Amen.